Trying to have a healthier diet, but not feeling a change yet? Your dietary struggles may be caused by hidden sugar.
Sure, everyone knows that cake, candy and cookies are bad. But there are other culprits that masquerade as “healthy alternatives” that can sabotage your good intentions.
- Artificial Sweeteners & “Natural” Sweeteners – These substances vary in chemical content. Some are pretty much all chemicals, but others really do contain natural ingredients. Nonetheless, they can still mess with your weight and metabolism. The chemical and chemically processed varieties may cause other serious health issues, especially if used to excess. Both varieties can inflame your gut, especially if you have IBD or a tendency for gut irritation. And, guess what? They all make you crave more, more, more sweetness.
- Hidden Sugars – What do ketchup, dried fruit, ranch salad dressing, soy sauce, flavored nuts and many marinara sauces have in common? You guessed it! Hidden sugar. The “healthy” snacks such as fruity yogurts, dried fruit and fruit juices can have an astonishing amount of sugar.
What to do?
- Read the labels.
- When you are not the one preparing the food, opt for alternatives that you know have less sugar (lemon juice, oil and vinegar, or unflavored yogurt) or, when possible, skip the sauce, dressing or marinade.
- Gluten free foods can contain A LOT of sugar! Be careful.
- Go unprocessed when possible. (Cucumber slices rather than bread/chips, fresh fruit not dried; lettuce leaves instead of tortillas or wraps).
- Use herbs and spices to give you flavor.
- “Low sugar” or “no sugar added” doesn’t always equal healthy. Generally when there is less sugar, processed foods will contain increased salt, or increased fat. And vice versa. Don’t give up sugar only to end up with a salt problem.
- Going off sugar “cold turkey” is not going to make you feel great. Plan your healthy lifestyle in a way that you will be able to maintain it. And make sure that you are taking care of yourself with regular activity and check ups and by keeping your body aligned to promote maximum health.
-Alexander Chiropractic- Spring, Texas “We Educate and Create Wellness”. 281-376-2225